Customer Service: Is Your Tech Helping or Hurting?
During my 12-year career, I have managed call center teams. It’s one of the hardest jobs I’ve done, but also one of the most rewarding, because I really enjoyed working with customers. It’s been a while since I’ve worked in call centers but I still have a keen interest in call center technology.
Back in the 1990’s, call center technology was pretty limited. All I really had to manage the call center and agent performance were my Rolm phone reports.
Today, customer demands have evolved to include new forms of contact (like email, Web chat, SMS and social media) and the expectation of constant availability.
Responding to these demands is a challenge not only for traditional call centers, but for anyone within a business involved in a customer touchpoint—including sales, marketing, and operations. It’s no surprise that my tech setup in the ‘90s would face some serious customer service limitations today!
As the modern customer has matured, so has the technology behind today’s customer service efforts. In order to take its customer experience from dated to digital, a business might consider:
- Multichannel capabilities to route social media, SMS, chat, and email interactions, empowering customers to choose how they want to contact and be contacted
- Outbound communications to proactively engage with customers
- Workforce optimization for strategic planning, forecasting, scheduling, real-time adherence and employee engagement capabilities—balancing workloads while ensuring service levels are met
- Call recording tools to quickly capture, archive, organize, play back and share voice documentation. This provides valuable insight into the customer experience and can transform isolated events into part of a continuous improvement system.
- Quality management technology for advanced quality assurance and personnel development
As we all know, you only have one chance to make a lasting impression. When it comes to communicating with your customers, every single touchpoint with your organization has an impact on how customers will view your business going forward.
Did you know it takes 12 positive experiences to make up for one unresolved negative experience?
That’s assuming your customer is willing to give you 12 more chances.
What customers expect
Check out this infographic from Mitel, which shows how customers expect to interact with your business, why they abandon your transactions and what steps you can take to keep them happy.
The cost of great customer service
Worried about the cost of upgrading your customer experience? Research has shown multimedia capabilities can actually boost agent productivity and help control resource costs—all while improving customer satisfaction. Check out our new white paper “13 Ways to Boost Productivity in your Contact Center.”
What IT and customer experience pros are saying
And, of course, we’re here to help. If you’re ready to take your customer communications from dated to digital, reach out to your Mitel partner or contact us directly. We asked our customers to share their experiences with MiContact Center and here is what they told us:
- “A phone call that would take a minute and a half is now taking a response time of ten to 15 seconds. Mitel was able to provide for us everything we needed to move to that next level.” —Bart Miller, Founder and CEO, Centrinex
- “MiContact Center allows me to deliver a qualify customer experience. My business wouldn’t survive without it.” Kris Roberts, IT Manager, SDC
- “Mitel Contact Center has given us a much clearer insight into the productivity of our ACD agents and management of our ACD queues.” —Pat Cicala, Voice Engineer, CGG
- “We've gone through a couple of mergers in the last two to three years and Mitel Contact Center has really helped us spread out the work load between staff. MiContact Center helps drive staff goals for talk/chat times and helps drive performance.” —Steve Ruddach, Banking Systems & Telecommunications Analyst, Libro Credit Union
- “Mitel Contact Center has allowed me to better staff my call center.” —Salvatore Pennachio, Customer Service Manager/International Sales, Niagara Conservation
- “The ability to trace specific call data and be able to present a report to my superiors is a great tool for me.” —Glenn Courington IT Manager, DXP Metal Working Products Division