The End of the Office?

    Seth Godin, ever the innovative business thinker, reckons that working in an office will soon become a distant memory. We no longer have the need to gather in one place to do our work, he argues. I definitely agree with his rationale and I think he makes a very good point, but I'm not sure the office will - or should - become completely extinct. Certainly, I do believe that time spent working in the office will see a substantial decline in the coming times, and that we will instead spend more and more time working from elsewhere. The ever more mobile and accessible progress of technology will make that all but inevitable.

    But I think that the office environment will still be crucial to enterprise. Sometimes, there is simply no substitute for face-to-face collaboration. It naturally breeds teamwork, productivity, kinship, and innovation - factors that are all critical to a successful company. Even if we all work from outside the office 75% of the time, the other 25% will remain vital to the operation of any business. No matter how far technology takes us, there will always be a need for people to come together and work cooperatively, and that's how I see the office evolving. It will become the collaborative hub of work life; perhaps less used than it is today, but just as important.

    via Seth's Blog | Goodbye to the Office.

    Related Posts

    Join thousands of subscribers & get great content like this once a week